Friday, May 22, 2009

May 22...10 Years

As you all know it is our 10 year anniversary this year, and today is the day! May 22, 1999 was a wonderful day. I wish I had a scanner, but I don't so you won't see any wedding pictures. Maybe that's good because even our children have a hard time recognizing us in the photos. I've even had one person that said I look like I was 12 (Travis!). We got married at Fairview Church in rural Kalona (Ryan's parent's church). Our wedding was at 7:00 pm. We had six attendants each: Mandi, Hannah, Stephanie, Beryl, Rachelle, and Shannon were the bridesmaids and Todd, Shannon (different one), Michael, Erik, Jason, and Kyle were the groomsmen. We also had two flower girls, Keilah and Rebekah, and one ring bearer, Kendal. My baby sister, Aleigha was also a flower girl. She was pushed down the aisle in an antique baby carriage since she was only 1 year old. It was a gorgeous wedding and it's so fun to look back and think about that day. I have to say that getting married so late in the day was great because we actually had a semi-relaxing day. I think Ryan had a very relaxing day. Who knows what time he actually woke up that morning, long after the whole girl crew. The wedding itself was great, I think, but I don't remember much of the ceremony except the pastor saying, "I now pronounce you husband and wife." That's the only part that mattered. I did get to meet a lot of Ryan's family that day. I have to admit that I didn't know very many of his guests who were there, but I do now. We love to have our family and friends around and Ryan has often said that everyone should come a few days early for a wedding and the reception should be a day or so before the wedding so that you could actually enjoy the people who made the trip. In a perfect world that would be great, but who could afford it? Even though this didn't happen we appreciated everyone coming.

We've lived a lot of places since then. Our first place was married student housing in Cedar Falls and the apartment was only 400 square feet. Who needs more space than that? Anyway, we've upgraded since then and have a few more square feet, so that's good. We also lived in San Antonio for student teaching, with my grandparents in their basement, in Wellman where we were house sitting for a family that was in Nicaragua for a year, back in my grandparent's basement for a few months, in New Orleans, back in my grandparent's basement (yes, this seems to be a theme), then to our first home in Coralville. Finally, our move last August to Iowa City. Oh the places we've been. Who would have guessed? The good thing is that we had each other and we've made it through some hard times, like New Orleans. God is so faithful and He has always been here for us. I'm looking forward to the many more years yet to come!

Our biggest accomplishment I have to say is our three children. What a wonderful blessing they have been in our lives. Even with the challenges that they present, they are great and what a blessing from God.

2 comments:

Prachar family said...

Congrats! Great to get your history! You did look 12!

Julie said...

Wow it is hard to believe that you have been married 10 years my how time flies when you are having fun huh!! I love the highlights of those years. May God continue to bless your family. You can never really realize the sacrifice that Jesus as Gods son was until you have children!! Blessings